The hype surrounding Dr. Davis’ book, “Wheat Belly”, was given further credence in the latest edition of MacLeans Magazine (article here).
I think it is sheer awesomeness that the ideas in this book are starting to seep into the collective conscience of the public, at least in Canada. Author, Dr. Davis claims that his clients were able to shed their bellies, reverse disease, and improve overall health indicators simply by ditching wheat and it’s derivatives. He is not the first to make such a claim, but his book contains the most thoughtful collection of work on the subject.
Who wouldn’t be excited about the prospect of blasting their belly fat simply by avoiding bread and pasta?
Unfortunately the pervasiveness of wheat makes it difficult to avoid when eating typical North American fair.
If we are planning to ditch wheat altogether, because of allergies, or our desire to try a life changing diet be warned. Wheat is everywhere.
Really, there is wheat in that?
Here is a list of sneaky wheat laden foods. Watch our for these guys! They could be a pain in your butt, if you don’t pay attention.
- Snacks – crackers, chips, cereals, snack mixes, pretzels
- Desserts – cakes, cookies, baking mixes, pies, other baked goods
- Soups – most soups including broths
- Condiments – soy sauce, salad dressings, barbeque sauces, some vinegars
- Beverages – Beer, root beer,
- Meats – frozen meats (some are packaged with broth), lunch meats, hot dogs
- Gravies and Sauces – most likely thickened with wheat flour
- Misc. – flour tortillas, stuffing
So it’s not just pasta and bread that wheat dodgers need to watch! I am a strong believer that everyone is sensitive to wheat, some more then others of course. It might take an experiment to find our where you are on the spectrum of wheat sensitivity, but it is worth looking at, especially if you are overweight, and consume many foods on this list, or have ever experienced gut irritation.
For more on the book, this is a great place to start….Wheat Belly Blog