I’m going to preface this by stating that I love exercise. However, sledging through standard gym routines can take a toll on our body and mind. With the weather finally starting to change here, this Top 10 list offers some ideas to break out and inject new energy into your fitness plan…..
10. Take a Hike – I would never claim to be an outdoorsman, however I have had the good fortune of hiking with experienced outdoors people! Escaping to the wilderness is a great way to detach from our normal routine, and find peace in the serenity of nature…..bringing us back to our natural state of being (hopefully)
9. Find a workout partner – having someone to compete with, talk to, and encourage us can really make a workout more enjoyable.
8. Try Parkour – this is for the more adventerous and able bodied…..I nearly split my pants trying this. While taking photos with a wedding party a few summers ago, we were hanging out inside the limo bus, and we noticed this shirtless meat-head hopping bushes and railings across the street…one thing led to another and we decided to see if we could do it. Well it was much harder than in looked, and it wasn’t the best idea to be trying this in our wedding attire…
7. Complete timed workouts - This way you can repeat them later to try and beat your previous time. This is the best way to compete against yourself!
6. Try Yoga - It is a good way to work the body and quiet the mind.
5. Join an organized recreational sports league - Creating a social aspect to our fitness plan is a great way to stay motivated. Joining a league will give you the best of both worlds. Try soccer or ultimate frisbee to improve your social life, and increase your aerobic capacity.
4. Learn a new skill/sport – I took up rowing in the summer as a student – what a work out! Sure beats the rowing machine at the gym. Just trying to balance the boat is a tremendous core workout! Other new skills/sports to try might be martial arts, ice skating,or roller blading.
3. Sign up for a 5k Run, Triathlon, or an Adventure Race – I’ll be participating in my first 5K soon!
2. Get Wet – Swimming is an amazing cardiovascular workout, that can help improve muscle tone. Just look at the typical swimmers body….
1. Just Dance – The physical demands of dancing are great, but it is also fun. If you have two left feet you can start off with an introductory level class, or just freestyle in your house! It is a good way to have fun, and shake it up a bit in a spontaneous way. Plus dancing without the aid of alcohol is a great way to build confidence!
Hope you enjoyed this article and wish to stay up to date on the latest health, and weight loss strategies by “Liking” The Healthy Teacher on Facebook!